Law Clerk Positions
The Bob Ross Foundation was the chief supporter of the ALRP Law Clerk program from 2006 – 2018 and we sincerely appreciate their more than a decade-long generosity. Learn more
Law clerk positions are available throughout the year. However, Summer clerkships are highly competitive and are often chosen by early spring. Please contact Jaime Rush at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if openings are available.
Purpose of Position
ALRP Law Clerks provide essential support to the ALRP Client Services staff by serving as the first, and often main, point of contact for ALRP clients. Under the supervision of an ALRP staff attorney, law clerks conduct client intake interviews, assist clients with short-term legal assistance, engage in eviction-defense litigation, and refer complex cases out to ALRP volunteer Panel attorneys.
- Perform direct client services—conduct client interviews, respond to general telephone inquiries, provide consultation & advocacy, and make referrals—in many areas of law
- Assist with eviction defense litigation, including discovery, motions, and court appearances
- Diligently record client interviews and case narratives in ALRP’s Salesforce database
- Participate in legal clinics
- Participate in bimonthly Client Services meetings
- Participate occasionally in ALRP events, such as fundraisers and mailing parties
- Perform legal writing and research
- Interest in working with extremely low-income clients with disabilities
- Developed interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Word, and Excel
- Experience with databases, especially Salesforce
- Ability to learn and implement new skills quickly
- Strong writing skills
- General administrative experience and skills
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality
- General knowledge about HIV/AIDS and LGBT legal issues
- Desire to be a part of a diverse team of individuals
- Bilingual/bicultural applicants strongly preferred
Hours and Compensation
For Fall and Spring law clerks, we generally ask for a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week and a maximum of 30 hours per week. The hourly rate for Fall 2023 law clerks is $22/hour.
Summer law clerk positions are typically full-time and unpaid.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to ALRP Managing Attorney Jaime Rush at email@example.com.