Law Clerk Positions
The Bob Ross Foundation was the chief supporter of the ALRP Law Clerk program from 2006 – 2018 and we sincerely appreciate their more than a decade-long generosity. Learn more
Law clerk positions are available throughout the year. However, Summer clerkships are highly competitive and are often chosen by early spring. Please contact Jaime Rush at email@example.com to see if openings are available.
Purpose of Position
ALRP Law Clerks provide essential support to the ALRP Client Services staff by serving as the first, and often main, point of contact for ALRP clients. Law clerks work with ALRP Client Services staff and ALRP’s volunteer Panel of attorneys to facilitate solutions to ALRP clients’ legal problems.
- Interest in working with extremely low-income clients with disabilities.
- Developed interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with MS Office, especially Access, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to learn and implement new skills quickly.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to diligently record client interviews and case narratives in Microsoft Access database.
- Ability to create and conform to a set work schedule.
- General administrative experience and skills.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
- Familiarity or ability to become familiar with other community organizations and resources for clients who do not fit ALRP’s eligibility guidelines or who may be better served by another agency.
- Desire to be a part of a diverse team of individuals.
- Perform direct client services – conduct client interviews, respond to general telephone inquiries, provide consultation & advocacy, and make referrals – in many areas of civil law.
- Participate in legal clinics.
- Participate in bimonthly Client Services meetings.
- Volunteer for ALRP events, such as fundraisers.
- Opportunities for legal writing and research are available.
Law Clerk positions are typically unpaid, however, if you have work-study available through your school’s financial aid office, ALRP may be able to match your school’s rate.
How to Apply
Mail, fax, or email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to ALRP Managing Attorney Jaime Rush.
AIDS Legal Referral Panel
1663 Mission St, Ste 500
San Francisco, CA 94103
Fax: (415) 701-1400
ALRP actively seeks bilingual/bicultural applicants for Law Clerk positions.