Law Clerk Positions
Law clerk positions are available throughout the year. However, summer clerkships are highly competitive and are often chosen by early spring. Please contact Sara Malan at email@example.com to see if openings are available.
Purpose of Position
ALRP Law Clerks provide essential support to the ALRP Client Services staff by serving as the first, and often main, point of contact for ALRP clients. Law clerks work with ALRP Client Services staff and ALRP’s volunteer Panel of attorneys to facilitate solutions to ALRP clients’ legal problems.
- Interest in working with extremely low-income clients with disabilities.
- Developed interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with MS Office, especially Access, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to learn and implement new skills quickly.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to diligently record client interviews and case narratives in Access database.
- Ability to create and conform to a set work schedule.
- General administrative experience and skills.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
- Familiarity or ability to become familiar with other community organizations and resources for clients who do not fit ALRP’s eligibility guidelines or who may be better served by another agency.
- Desire to be a part of a diverse team of individuals.
- Perform direct client services – conduct client interviews, respond to general telephone inquiries, provide consultation & advocacy, and make referrals – in many areas of civil law.
- Participate in legal clinics.
- Participate in bimonthly Client Services meetings.
- Volunteer for ALRP events, such as fundraisers.
- Opportunities for legal writing and research are available.
The Law Clerk position is unpaid. However, if you have work-study available through your school’s financial aid office, ALRP may be able to match your school’s rate.
How to Apply
Mail, fax, or email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample.
Mailing address: Law Clerk Search, AIDS Legal Referral Panel, 1663 Mission Street, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94103,
Fax: (415) 701-1400.
ALRP actively seeks bilingual/bicultural applicants for the Law Clerk position.