Fair Housing and Reasonable Accommodations Training
9:00am - 12:00pm
201 Turk Street Conference Room
The training will include an overview of Federal and State Laws on Fair Housing and Reasonable Accommodations.
Fair Housing and Reasonable Accommodations for People with Disabilities
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Registration at 8:30 am
Fees: $40 per person
A limited number of scholarships are available. Please call (415) 701-1200, ext. 308 for details.
Who Should Attend?
- Property and resident managers
- Housing providers (including special needs housing)
- Service providers
- Legal services staff
- Advocates for tenants
- People with HIV/AIDS
- Consumers of services
- Anyone who regularly works with tenants or those with special needs
What Will Be Covered?
The training will include an overview of Federal and State Laws on Fair Housing and Reasonable Accommodations. Small Group Sessions will focus on how Reasonable Accommodations work during the application process, Tenancy, and during Eviction Proceedings. Group Discussions will be led by Trainers familiar with Fair Housing issues and will be based on practical questions from Training Participants.
Sample questions may include:
- May I ask an applicant if s/he spent time in a treatment facility or hospital, or if s/he is presently in treatment?
- How do I know if a person’s bad tenancy history or criminal record is related to her/ his disability?
- How can I help a person who needs assistance through the application process but does not request it, without violating their rights?
- What may I ask a tenant about their disability if they ask for a Reasonable Accommodation?
8:30 – 9:00 ………………………Registration
9:00 – 9:10 ………………………Introduction
9:10 – 10:00 ………………..Legal Overview
10:00 – 10:10 ……………………………Break
10:10 – 11:45 ……….Small Group Session
11:45 – 12:00 ……………………..Conclusion
Sara Malan, Esq. ALRP Managing Attorney
Jaime Rush, Esq. ALRP Housing Attorney
Brian Brophy, Esq. ALRP Staff Attorney
John Fasesky, Esq. ALRP Staff Attorney
Amy Orgain, Esq. ALRP Insurance Attorney
Dmitri Pikman, Esq. ALRP Staff Attorney
- Council of Community Housing Organizations
- Mental Health Association of San Francisco
- Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California
- San Francisco Human Rights Commission
- San Francisco Mayor’s Office on Disability
- Volunteer Legal Services Program of the Bar Association of San Francisco
Complete and mail this registration form along with a check made payable to ALRP.
City, State, Zip
Phone / Fax
Attendee Name & Title (attach add’l names)
Individuals at $40 each = $_________
Total Amount Enclosed = $_________
Registrations and payments must be received no later than Friday, April 20, to guarantee a seat at the workshop. All registrations are non-refundable.If you have questions regarding registration, please call
(415) 701-1200, ext. 311.
Please mail registration with payment to:
ALRP, 1663 Mission Street, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94103
ALRP wants to ensure that this workshop is accessible to all attendees. If you have a disability or special need that may require auxiliary aid, please call Bill at (415) 701-1200 ext. 308 prior to the workshop so that we may make any arrangements necessary to accommodate you.This event is categorized as: