NOW HIRING: Outreach Staff Attorney
WANTED: A New Outreach Staff Attorney
ALRP is committed to a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups, as well as multilingual and multicultural candidates, to apply.
STAFF ATTORNEY, AIDS Community Outreach Program, AIDS Legal Referral Panel (ALRP)
Staff Attorney sought for nonprofit providing legal services for people with HIV/AIDS. The Outreach Staff Attorney will work with a variety of different legal areas in addition to coordinating and managing ALRP’s outreach initiatives. Motivated individual interested in working in cooperative, flexible office, committed to social justice. Excellent benefits. People of color, women, and those with disabilities, including HIV, encouraged to apply. Position open until filled.
To provide legal services to people living with HIV/AIDS and to connect clients with ALRP Panel Attorneys.
- Ensure ALRP’s services are accessible to underserved populations within the HIV/AIDS community, including people of color, women, and individuals with mental health disabilities and substance users.
- Conduct client intake interviews, provide information and referrals.
- Provide advocacy and legal representation.
- Refer clients to appropriate services providers or panel attorneys.
- Supervise law clerks.
- Maintain ALRP satellite office at AIDS Project of the East Bay (APEB).
- Identify, develop and maintain relationships with various legal service providers, nonprofit organizations, and health care organizations in the Bay Area.
- Coordinate clinic and outreach schedules with staff attorneys and outside agencies.
- Maintain accurate computerized client files and provide reports to Executive Director.
- Maintain accurate outreach statistics, continuously updating Memorandum of Understandings, and compiling monthly client and outreach reports.
- Conduct training sessions on a variety of legal issues for clients and HIV/AIDS service providers.
- Assist Executive Director and Volunteer Coordinator in recruiting new panel attorneys by developing culturally sensitive trainings and materials.
- Attend community events to increase ALRP’s visibility in the community.
- Perform general office duties and special projects as assigned.
- Active membership with the State Bar of California.
- Experience working with low-income individuals, people with mental health disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, substance users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBT community.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of team.
- Experience in estate planning, consumer law, negotiation, and mediation preferred but not required.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work well under tight deadlines.
- Bilingual Spanish, a plus.
- Valid Driver’s License and accessibility to a car, a plus.
- Please note: there is significant travel to other agencies throughout the Bay Area. Familiarity with public transportation and/or various locations in the Bay Area, highly desired.
Salary and Benefits
$58,000-$60,000 per year, depending on experience. Benefits include health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
AIDS Legal Referral Panel
1663 Mission St, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94103